Friday 2 August 2013

A Little Insight

I felt that as today I received some excellent feedback on some fashion designs recently uploaded on to the website, that it was only right to publish a post about them!

Towards the end of my FMP, I started to think of ways to expand my collection and broaden the range a little.  I decided to look at how they could be adapted to fit within a fashion context.  If you follow me on Pinterest you will see that I am an utter addict and love pinning, all of the images you see here are inspirational images found on Pinterest and all of the credits and origins can be found there.

I have used similar colour palettes to the cushions in my graduate collection and have taken elements of the designs and adjusted the composition of shapes to work for the different products. 


Here we have some scarves under the Soft Accessory range, elements of these designs include a garter stitch border in a contrasting colour to the main fabric, along with some Swiss darned shapes (made just like my cushions) Alternatively the design could be knitted using intarsia, and Swiss darned shapes could be added in later for extra texture.  

I have two main colour palettes in my graduate collection I like to call one the Midnight Range (The one above) and the one below the Storm Range (Reference to the main yarns used as a base in my collection) this helps me when naming swatch groups in Photoshop and Illustrator and also helps me to name files and such.  The scarf design below again is intended to have a garter stitch border with the design either stitched on using Swiss darning or knitted in using intarsia.

To add something different to the collection, I thought it would be nice to design some items that aren't aren't intended for knitwear, although I could adapt these for knitwear, a few people have said how nice my designs would be as a jumper!  These were designed with the idea they would be digitally printed onto similar fabric you see in the first design board (image on the right).


So there we have it, a little more insight into some of the ideas that have come about that could potentially be developed further and sit next to my interior collection.  I have actually started on sampling some scarfs, however, they are quite different to the ones you see here.  
I do hope you have enjoyed reading about my design thoughts and processes.



(C) Louisa Crompton 2013
These designs belong to Louisa Crompton and should not be reproduced, re-published or used in anyway without the designers full written consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment